|Buenos Aires Info||Photos||Personalities||Tango||Contact Us|
Cabildo: Bolívar 65. Designed by Jesuit architect Andrés Blanqui in 1580, this was the first government building in the city of Buenos Aires at the time it was founded. As time went by, it underwent many changes and renovations from its original construction. It is now a museum called "Museo Histórico Nacional del Cabildo y la Revolución de Mayo" where a collection of old weapons are displayed, as well as medals and garments from the time of the independence (1816). It is open from Tuesday to Friday from 12:30pm to 7pm, and Sundays from 3pm to 7pm.
Government House or Casa Rosada (Pink House) Balcarce 50. This building houses the Executive Power. It was built in 1580 and after many renovations and with the cooperation of Italian architect Francisco Tamburini, the facade was reconstructed and given an Italian French look. During the presidency of Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, towards the end of the XIX century, the building was painted pink, based on the idea of combining the colors of the two political sectors at the time -red for the federals and white for the unitaries-, and the resulting color was pink, hence its popular name of "Casa Rosada” (Pink House). The Granaderos, an elite army group with colorful uniforms, guard the building.
Cathedral: Av. Rivadavia and San Martín. This neoclassical cathedral was built in the XVIII century and is the resting place of Liberator General José de San Martín's ashes. San Martín was one of the most important heroes in the history of Argentina. He led the battles against Spanish armies that resulted in the country's independence. Open 7 days a week.
May Pyramid (Pirámide de Mayo): Plaza de Mayo. It dates from the 25th of May of 1811 and was the first monument built in Buenos Aires commemorating the revolution of 1810. It was later covered with bricks increasing its size and adding a statue representing the "Republic" on the top, and near the base it was surrounded by agriculture, commerce, science and art related sculptures. The original pyramid is in perfect conditions and is located in the inside of this one.
May Park (Plaza de Mayo): Balcarce & Rivadavia. The Plaza de Mayo is the country's political center. It is located between the Cabildo and the Casa Rosada, and has witnessed political and social demonstrations as well as national celebrations.
May Avenue (Avenida de Mayo): This avenue has been and still is the stage of social marches and political rallies since it was designed at the end of the 19th century. Along its way there are beautiful sumptuous buildings with big domes as well as artistic iron-works, lion images and other forms of art.
Tortoni Coffee House (Café Tortoni): Avenida de Mayo 829. This Art Nouveau building was built in 1858, and it houses one of the oldest literary cafes in the city and where tango and jazz bands still play at night. Personalities such as Benito Quinquela Martín, Molina Campos, Raúl González Tuñón, Alfonsina Storni, Jorge Luis Borges, Baldomero Fernández Moreno, Roberto Arlt, José Ortega y Gasset among many others, have frequented this place.
General Post Office Av. Leandro N. Alem y Av. Corrientes. This classic French style building was designed by French architect Norbert Maillar and inaugurated on 1928. The recently renovated interior still houses the original equipment used for customer service as well as very valuable vitreaux and a series of sculptures by M.Fiot, M.Chirico and paintings by Bernaldo de Quirós and Lola Frexas.
Palace of Congress (Palacio del Congreso): Av. Entre Ríos, between Hipólito Yrigoyen and Av. Rivadavia. This building houses the Argentine Congress (Chambers of Deputies and Senators). The building was designed by Italian architect Víctor Meano and it was inaugurated in 1906. Its exterior is Greek-Roman, with a coating of white marble, Corinthian columns and decorated edges.
Two Congresses Park (Plaza De Los Dos Congresos): Av. Entre Rios & Av. Rivadavia. This plaza is comprised of a series of small squares, each one with a unique monument, being the replica of Rodin's "The Thinker" the most famous. Other monuments include the "Monument of the Two Congresses" that stands in the middle of the main square, as well as sculptures of Ricardo Balbín and Mariano Moreno.
El Molino Coffee House (Confitería El Molino): Av. Rivadavia 1801. This legendary meeting place was designed by Italian architect Francesco Teresio Gianotti and was built between 1914 and 1917. It has a big dome, slated roofs with golden edges, square glasses and the still shafts of a mill in the exterior. Its lounges gathered personalities of the social, artistic, intellectual and political life and witnessed innumerable displays of civic life and of the institutional evolution of the Republic. The new Confitería del Molino was declared National Historical Monument in 1997, but it is currently closed to the public.
Monumental Tower (Torre Monumental): San Martín y Av. Libertador. This tower is located in the center of the Plaza Britannia renamed Plaza Aeronáutica Argentina. It was built by British residents in commemoration of the centennial of the Revolution of May and was inaugurated on May 24, 1916. The company in charge of its construction was "Hopkins & Gardom" and everything except for the sand and the water, was brought from England. On its main door, it reads "al gran pueblo argentino, los residentes Británicos, cheers, 25 de mayo 1810-1910" (To the great Argentine people, the British residents, health, May 25 1810-1910"). The tower changed its name from "Torre de los Ingleses" (The British Tower) to “Torre Monumental” (Monumental Tower) after the Falklands war in 1982, but people still refer to it as the Torre de los Ingleses.
Kavanagh Building: Florida 1065. This building, designed by the architects Sánchez, Lagos and De la Torre, was the highest concrete structure in South America when it was inaugurated in 1936. It has 32 floors and it is 120 meters high.
Retiro Railway Terminal: Av. Ramos Mejía between Av. Libertador and Av. Antártida Argentina. This is the most important railway station in Buenos Aires and is the point of arrival and departure of more than 30 railway lines as well as a stop for the C subway line. It was built in 1915 by British architect Eustace Louriston Conder.
Plaza San Martín: Square between Av. Santa Fe, Av. del Libertador and San Martin Street. It was known as the "Campo de la Gloria" (Battlefield of Glory) in the early 1800's for being the place where the people of Buenos Aires heroically defended themselves against the British invasion of 1807. This beautiful square has a magnificent landscaping design and among its sculptures and monuments are the "General José de San Martín Monument" and the "Monument Honoring the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen who died during the Malvinas (Falkland) Islands war. This memorial is made up of 25 black marble plaques with the names those who died in the war (l982).
Florida Street: This is the city's most famous pedestrian street and an important commercial area where leather clothing, shoes, record stores and numerous newsstands as well as restaurants and cafes light the street day and night. Depending on the time of the day there can be many street artists entertaining tourists with their tango dancing. We recommend that you visit the "Galerías Pacifico" (Florida 753), one of the most elegant shopping centers in the country, where a dome painted by prestigious artist Castagnino, decorates its hall.
Santa Fé Avenue: This is a very modern and commercial avenue focused on shopping. The most renowned stores are located along its way as well as galleries and boutiques.
Basílica Nuestra Señora del Pilar: Junin 1892, Plaza Recoleta. It was built by the Jesuit monks in 1732 and it is one of the oldest churches in the city.
Recoleta Cemetery: Junín and Avenida Quintana. It was founded in 1822 by the Recoletos monks and it is internationally renowned for having famous sculptures, tombs and mausoleums of illustrious political figures and Argentine families. Among the sculptures there are numerous works by Lola Mora and among the famous people buried here, are Eva Perón, Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, Leandro Alem, Hipólito Yrigoyen, Elpidio González, Juan M. De Rosas, Facundo Quiroga, Bartolomé Mitre and Arturo Ilia, among others. Open 7 days a week.
Recoleta Cultural Center: Junin 1930. This building was built in 1732 and it was, originally, a convent connected to the Basílica del Pilar. Today, it is a cultural center with 25 auditoriums that accommodates paintings, sculptures and photographs in different exhibitions.
Obelisk: Av. 9 de Julio & Av. Corrientes. This 67 meters high obelisk, designed by Argentine architect Alberto Prebisch, was built and inaugurated in 1936 and commemorates four historical moments related to the city; each one of them is engraved on the sides of the obelisk: 1. The 4th centennial of the city's foundation by Pedro de Mendoza, 2. The place where the Argentine flag fluttered for the first time. 3. The proclamation of the City as the Federal Capital of the country and 4. The second foundation of the city by Juan de Garay.
Plaza de La República: Intersection of Av. 9 de Julio & Av. Corrientes. The tiny plaza suffered many renovations since it was designed. It is very famous for being the meeting place of many Argentineans for different national celebrations such as the victory of the football national team.
9 de Julio Avenue: This 120 meter (400 feet) wide and 2,600 meter (8,500 feet) long avenue, is considered the widest avenue in the world. There are numerous coffee shops and neon signs along its way, as well as the Obelisk and heavy traffic.
Corrientes Avenue: This avenue lies from East to West and in its intersection with the Avenida 9 de Julio it crosses the Obelisk Close to this intersection, there is concentration of theaters, book stores, cafes and restaurants.
Lavalle Street: This street concentrates a large number of movie theaters as well as restaurants and cafes that remain open until late hours.
Plaza Lavalle: Viamonte & Talcahuano. Like many other squares in the city, this one was originally a public market in 1822 and after the commercial activities stopped, it was landscaped and named Plaza Lavalle (1878). This green space has a variety of species of plants and trees, as well as the fountain "La Fuente de los Bailarines" which depicts two ballet dancers and it honors the dancers killed in an accident in 1971. Across the street from the Plaza, stands the Court of Justice Building whose construction started around 1905
Colón Theater: Cerrito 608. This theater was inaugurated on the May 25, 1908 and is the most important lyric theater in Latin America. Its facade shows strong influences of Italian renaissance and the interior's dome was painted by Raúl Soldi (world renowned Argentine artist) in 1966. Its schedule includes opera, ballet and classical music concerts and it also houses the Ballet School where famous dancers like Julio Bocca, Maximiliano Guerra and Paloma Herrera attended.
Plaza Constitución: Av. Caseros & Lima. This was the place of the city's fruit market in 1859. Nowadays, its the passage of thousands of porteños who arrive at the Constitución Railway Station from the suburbs.
San Telmo: This neighborhood was populated by aristocratic families towards the end of the 19th century. After the yellow fever the big mansions that belonged to high class families, became squats or "conventillos" where large numbers of people lived. Nowadays, its a neighborhood with narrow streets, colonial patios and with a bohemian smell in the air. There are art schools and arts and crafts fair as well as tango-show places.
El Viejo Almacén: Balcarce y Av. Independencia. This old "Country Store" dates back to 1798, but it wasn't until 1969 that Edmundo Rivero made it the "Temple of Tango“. The biggest names in this genre like Aníbal Troilo, Osvaldo Pugliese and Roberto Goyeneche, among many others, have played and sung under this roof. The interior was recently renovated and it now holds tango shows seven days a week where the classic tangos like "Caminito", "El día que me quieras" and "Mi Buenos Aires Querido" are played. while enjoying a delicious dinner.
Canto al Trabajo Sculpture: Av. Paseo Colón & Av. Independencia. This sculpture, done by Rogelio Yrurtia, symbolizes the work effort expressed by 14 bronze workers who drag a large stone.
Block of Lights (Manzana de las Luces): Perú 272. In colonial times, this block housed the first public school, university and library, hence the name "Block of Lights". During the Spanish ruling the school was called "Real College De San Carlos" and provided education to illustrious personalities like Belgrano, Saavedra, Moreno, Paso, Las Heras, Dorrego and Rivadavia, among others. The magnificent San Ignacio Church, of baroque architecture, was built by the Jesuits and finished in 1722 and it is the oldest church in Buenos Aires. Another attractive site at his location are the mysterious tunnels dug in the XVIII century. It is assumed that they were dug with defensive intentions, but it is not discarded that they may have been dug smuggling. According to some theories, many experts agree that these tunnels linked the Cabildo and/or the Cathedral , with other churches. In the present time, the "Manzana de las Luces" is a cultural center that hold workshops, art exhibitions, theater, movies, and children's shows, as well as a souvenir store. For more information visit www.manzanadelasluces.gov.ar/historia.html.
San Telmo Market: Defensa 961. This building made by architect Juan Antonio Buschiazzo, opened its doors in 1897 and it is the last of its type in the city. It was originally a community food market but in the present it is mainly an antique and regional product market.
Plaza Dorrego: Defensa y Humberto 1º. This square is considered a "National Historical Place" because on July 9, 1816, a multitude got together to celebrate the independence of the country that was signed in Tucumán. Nowadays, it is the home of “Antiques Fair of San Telmo” held every Sunday from 10am to 5 pm where, among the antique sales, there are street artists performances that entertain tourists as well as locals.
San Ignacio De Loyola
Bolívar 225. This is the oldest colonial church in Buenos Aires, built between 1710 and
and famous for having been a place of resistance during the
British invasions of 1806.
Fragata Sarmiento: Pier 3, Puerto Madero. This ship is the maritime symbol of Argentina and used to be the training ship for Argentine Navy students during their graduation year. It is currently a museum. Open Hours 2pm-10pm daily.
Puerto Madero: Alicia Moreau de Justo and Av. Cordoba. The original docks and warehouses of the port of the Río de la Plata river were recently renovated and turned into wide, modern and colorful shopping area with movie theaters, restaurants, five star hotels, and top of the line office buildings.
South Riverside Drive (Costanera Sur): Avenida Costanera Sur, by the Rio de La Plata. This recently renovated area is a classic public walk where, on weekends, it gets crowded with families, bikers, joggers, arts and crafts fairs and street artists performances. You can also try eating the classic "choripan" (sausage sandwich) as well as other snacks. We recommend that you walk by the sculpture "Las Nereidas" by Lola Mora.
Caminito: La Boca neighborhood, near the Riachuelo. The famous “Caminito” is a one block long pedestrian street without sidewalks where all the houses are made of metal sheets, painted in different colors and have many windows and balconies. Along the street; arts and crafts vendors, as well a painters and tango dancers show their abilities to visitors and tourists. The name of the street was inspired by a famous tango called “Caminito” written in 1926 by Gabino Coria Peñaloza and Juan de Dios Filiberto.
Parque Lezama: Defensa & Av. Leandro Alem. This park is considered by historians as the place where the first mud-houses were built by Pedro de Mendoza's expeditionaries in 1536. It is now a public green area with fountains and sculptures and where one of the biggest arts and crafts fairs take place on weekends.
Russian Orthodox Church Av. Paseo Colón and Brasil, across from Parque Lezama. This Muscovite style church was inaugurated in 1904 and it has five turquoise onion domes with one cross held by chains. In the facade there are three windows with vitreaux glass art that represent different biblical scenes.
Botanical Garden: Av. Santa Fe 3951. This garden, located in Palermo, was designed by French landscaper Carlos Thays and was inaugurated in 1908. It has numerous statues, fountains, and approximately 7,000 species of plants and trees from all over the world in a 7 hectares of green in the middle of the city. Inside the garden there is a museum, a library, an art-noveau greenhouse and a gardening school.
Japanese Garden: Intersection of Av. Casares & Figueroa Alcorta. It was designed and built by Isakari (engineer) Yatsuo Inomata (painter) in 1979. It is a classic Japanese style site with many trees, plants, artificial lakes and wooden bridges. Admission: $2.
Zoo: Avenidas Sarmiento and Las Heras, Plaza Italia. This 18 hectare zoo was designed by French landscaper Carlos Thays and built in 1874. It was founded by president Sarmiento in 1875 and it now houses a great variety of animal species. It has temple pavilions and replicas of La Venus de Milo and Bachus. The animal cages were constructed in the style of the animals origin. There are more than 300 species of birds, mammals and reptiles. From penguins to tigers, monkeys and zebras. This is a also good opportunity to see native animals like: alpacas, guanacos, llamas y vicunas. Open Tuesdays through Fridays from 10am to 5pm, Saturdays and Sundays from 10am a 3:30pm. Admission free for children under 13 years old.
Bosques de Palermo: Av. Casares and Av. Libertador. This forest of 25 hectares constitute the city's lung. It has three artificial lakes, a flower haven and many gardens like the famous "Garden of the Poets" where there are sculptures of famous writers like William Shakespeare, Paul Groussac, Alfonsina Storni, Dante Alighieri, Federico García Lorca and Antonio Machado, among others. This is a great place for family walks, exercising, meditation and contemplation of nature. During summer time it is usually crowded and many weekend events are organized by the city to entertain families and groups of friends. This green area is surrounded by the Avenida del Libertador where main high rise buildings as well as embassies and top level businesses and stores are located.
Racetrack: Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo: Av. Libertador 4105. This racetrack was inaugurated on the May 7, 1876 and it is famous for its design and, of course, for its horse races. It also houses a museum. The "Slippery Horse" (el Caballo Resbaloso) was the name of the horse that won the first race in this race track, before 10,000 spectators.
Galileo Galilei Planetarium: Av. Sarmiento and Av. Belisario Roldán. It was built in 1966 by Enrique Jan and nowadays is the most important channel of astronomic promotion in the country. Laser shows of stars and constellations are projected on the interior of its dome. The first projection took place on December 19, 1966, on the 150th anniversary of the independence. $ 4. Seniors and minors of 5 years free. www.planetario.gov.ar
Monument of the Spaniards (Monumento de Los Españoles: Avenidas Sarmiento and Libertador. Its real name is Carta Magna and the Four Argentine Regions, but it is better known as El Monumento de los Españoles, because it was a gift from the Spanish community. It is made of marble and bronze and the top sculpture represents the "Republic". It was built by sculptor Agustín Querol y Subirats.
Palermo Hollywood: Between Juan B. Justo, Niceto Vega, Dorrego and Paraguay Streets. This area of Palermo neighborhood has taken the name "Hollywood" because there are many TV and film studios and productions companies; and it is also the favorite place for many artists. In the surroundings of the Julio Cortazar Plaza, aka "La Placita”, there are numerous pubs, restaurants, discotheques, art galleries, design stores and bars that hold alternative theater shows.
Plaza Italia: Av Santa Fe & Jorge L. Borges. This is a strategic point in the city, where thousands of people come and go via subway, railway, buses, taxis and hundreds of cars. It is a very busy commercial area and it also connects the Sociedad Rural, the Zoo and the Botanical Garden through its square. In the center of the square stands the Garibaldi monument, inaugurated on June 19, 1904.
Statue of Liberty Av. Juramento y Av. Luis María Campos, Barrancas de Belgrano. This is a small replica of New York City's Statue of Liberty built by French artist Bertholdi.
North Riverside Drive (Costanera Norte): Avenida Costanera. By the Río de la Plata, near the aeroparque, there can be found the famous restaurants or “Carritos" (small carts). This name is based on the fact that in old times there were carts driven by horses that sold food in this area. Today, these "carritos" are a number of beautiful restaurants that sell the best argentine meat as well as international food.
Plaza Miserere: Av. Rivadavia & Av. Pueyrredón. This was the meeting place of the troops who fought to reconquer the city occupied by the British in 1806, and also where the troops of Liniers were defeated during the second British invasion in 1807. In the center of the square stands Bernardino Rivadavia's mausoleum, built in 1932. This area is now known as "Plaza Once".
Mataderos Fair: Av. Lisandro de La Torre and Av. De Los Corrales, Mataderos neighborhood. This fair represents the cultural roots of Argentina. It was initiated in 1986 and it includes arts and crafts, regional foods (empanadas, home-made wine and locro - corn & meat), as well as tango and folk dances. There are also horse ring races, and other genuine regional activities. Sundays and Holidays from 11am to 8pm, highly recommended.
Click here to see a complete list of museums.
All pictures are property of EasyBuenosAiresCity.com
and may not be used for commercial purposes without our express
prior written permission.